Tuesday 4 March 2014

Hiring an OD change agent-and keeping him on a leash



Name of Role: Head of Training, Talent Management, Organizational Development and Knowledge Management


Reporting to: SVP HR Ms Gloria Ramsbottom-Lemieux


Role Description: Compliance to the direction I provide

Skills:
  • Semi strategic and very tactical
  • Slavish loyalty to boss
  • Working mother with 3-5 children with no career aspirations
  • Proven negotiation skill with hotels
  • Proven skills in wow wow wow-ism and rah rahing
  • Ability to feign understanding of business
  • Native and fluent English skills, with a smattering of French
  • Ability to understand the various accents in our Engineering department
Surprised? No need to be! 
Here's how it happened. CEO Stan texted me to come to his office. His wife (Wifey) had just read an article titles "Change From Within"; the article was a case study of a company which was "totally turned around" by a program driven by an internal "change agent" in HR. 

Stan gave me the article to read (it is a one pager) and immediately told me: "Let's give this a try, Ramsbottom". 

Then Stan added, "Chairman Ed's son-in-law, young Samuel Snake, appears to be a good candidate for setting up such a department "under your auspices, Gloria".

I reminded Stan about something he preferred I did not know (that has to do with him and a certain Ms Cynthia Axe). 

Ever the flexible CEO, Stan said, "As you wish Gloria. But set up the department and at least use Samuel Snake as an intern. That's an order".

An order is an order. So, I put together the above job description & published it. 

There are now almost 3 thousand people a day who read this blog, even in Indonesia, Scotland, the tip of Africa, Saudi Arabia (mais oui), Germany and even Denmark. Please refer people to me. I will accept a candidate from an offshore location, in line with my core value of "cheap labour".

I don't pay a placement fee, but I am a  pleasure to work with.







No comments:

Post a Comment

How to determine a candidate's ability to work in an AI - rich environment

  "AI" could have been my middle name, but alas I was not given a middle name. This having been said, even someone who has no midd...

Glo at her best